Programming Additional BMW Key Fobs
If you already have a working key and need to program additional keys, these are the steps that you will need to follow:
- Step inside the cabin of the vehicle and be sure to bring the working key fob as well as any other key fobs that you are planning to program. All doors and windows should be closed.
- Put the working key into the ignition and then turn to position 1. When you do this, the lights on the dashboard and any accessories should illuminate.
- Turn the key back and remove it from the ignition.
- Take the working key and press down the unlock button as you push the lock button (the BMW logo) 3 times. When this is done, release the unlock button. The doors should lock and unlock automatically.
- Take the new key and hold down the unlock button while pressing the BMW logo 3 times. After this step is complete, let go of the unlock button. As it did before, the doors will lock and unlock on their own.
Programming a New Key from Scratch
If you do not have a key fob that works, you will need to follow these steps rather than the ones listed above.
- Insert key into the ignition and turn it to position 1 and back rapidly 5 times.
- Take the key out of the ignition.
- Hold the unlock button and press the BMW logo 3 times. When this is done, let go of the unlock button.
- If you have more keys that you need to program, you will need to repeat step 3 within 30 seconds from when you programmed the first key.
- To complete the process, you will need to start the vehicle.
For More Assistance, Turn to the Team at Bob Smith BMW
If you follow the BMW key programmer instructions above, these methods should work for a majority of BMW models. There are a few specific models that require different steps to program the key fob. If you come across any issues while trying to program your BMW key fob, the team at Bob Smith BMW is happy to help you. We can also assist you if you need a BMW key fob replacement or a new BMW key battery. You will find what you need in our parts department in Calabasas. Contact us for more information or for tips like how to clean your windshield.